Home


Saturday, September 21, 2013

What's in a name?

Hello blog world!

Thought I'd start my blog with a little tidbit about myself. In case you didn't get over to my about me page, my name is Peggy. I was named after my grand-mom (my mom's mom). We both go by Peggy but our birth names are Margaret. And all my life I've been asked a question that has made me dislike my name, "How do they get Peggy from Margaret?" So I googled the origin of my name and found that no one really knows. Many believe that it was changed in the middle ages from Margaret to Margie to Marge to Mag to Meg and then to Peg. Apparently during the middle ages it was common to change the "M" to a "P" when using nicknames to distinguish people because there were so many people of the same name. I was a little disappointed with this finding because many years ago, when the Internet went Skaweeerureeweeert and I used AIM, I researched my name and found some article about Peggy coming from Pegasus (which I think is a lot cooler). Now it is nowhere to be found :(


Me and Mommom
But while doing my research I've realized I have had many other nicknames over the years. At my old job they always called me Maggie or Mags. Some people add to Peg and call me Pegster (this came up a lot in high school). My youngest brother couldn't pronounce my name when he was two and called me Poggy. And finally my favorite unofficial nickname is Margie, which my mom used to call me and a few close relatives still do. 

So after my research I've decide my answer to the question will be, that it is an old family name and has been past down for generations and I'm glad to be named after an amazing woman like my grand-mom. Sounds good to me!


Keep Calm and Love Your Name
 Peggy

No comments:

Post a Comment